Conservatory Cosyfication Continues

CCC. Cosyfication is a word. Actually I just looked it up, and it’s not a word. But you understand what I mean, don’t you? So, it’s a word. Like I’ve said before, the conservatory/dining room lack a certain level of cosyness which the rest of the house holds. It’s strange to try and cosyfy a room that is all white and glass, but the layered rugs helped a lot. Now I just needed to add some storage. The house is small, so we need every bit of storage we can get.

In my old flat – TFTSNBM (the flat that shall not be mentioned) – I had 3 of these (yes, 3 – I’m a girl!):



Note that they are only 37cm deep.

Then I moved into my little room at the house (the dirty house!) and could only fit two of my wardrobes into the space. Then I moved again (I know – it’s been a mad year) and my current little flat (which I NEED to blog about, and I will!) was already kitted out with a large wardrobe. I sold two of my wardrobes, but decided to hold on to the third one, with this particular project in mind. See, I really wanted long and practical sideboard in the conservatory/dining room, with heaps of storage. And in my head, the plan looked a little bit like this:


Makes sense, yes? I’d cut the wardrobe horizontally in the middle, and tip the top half to sit “up-side-down” next to the bottom half, and add a top and a couple of knobs, and voila – sideboard! Said and done. I started by cutting all the parts of the dismantled wardrobe in half. As the plinth is 7cm tall, I had to cut an extra 7cm off the top half of the doors to mimic the look of the bottom half. You keeping up?


I worked in the kitchen, on the floor, on top of a green fleece blanket to avoid the floor and/or the sideboard-in-the-making getting scratched. I was working in reindeer slippers. I’m Swedish – don’t judge me.


Working alone means you have to be inventive. In this case, my drill bag doubled as support…


… while I attached the brackets on the other side, to attach the bottom to the sides.


I added these spacers to the top edges of the sideboard for a bit of temporary stability to the whole thing until the top was in place. Once the top would be attached to the cupboards, it would lend a lot of stability to the unit and the spacers would no longer be needed.


At this point I had to stop and laugh. It just looked so silly there on the kitchen floor, like a bug rolled over with its legs in the air… 🙂


As I said, this was an IKEA wardrobe, and as much as I love my Swedish heritage, I have to admit that these wardrobes are a little… Flimsy? All the parts, including shelves, are made from particleboard, and a pretty low grade one at that. This means that the shelves bow really easily. As I knew that we’d probably end up keeping tools and bulk bags of cat litter in these cupboards, I figured the bottom shelves (at least) would need to be reinforced somehow. Being frugal, I decided to repurpose those 7cm door cut-offs I mentioned earlier.

Drilling a hole in the centre of the bottom shelf, and into the side of my 7cm scraps, like so:


Attaching the 7cm scrap underneath the bottom shelf should hopefully give enough support to keep it from bowing.


All I had to do next was attach the other side and the back panels to keep the wardrobe sideboard square. I attached the two halves together for added stability, and hung the doors. Now it’s just waiting for me to find the time to make a top…


In the meantime it sits there, glaring at me and making me feel guilty. I promise, sideboard – I WILL carve out the time to make you a nice top soon!